Cusco, is located in Peru, is surrounded by Andes Mountains, is a really popular destination for tourists from all over the world. But many people still have the symptoms of Altitude Sickness and this can be an issue for people that are not prepared!
Why Altitude Sickness Occurs?
Well, this occurs when people ascend more than 8,000 feet above sea level and their bodies don’t have got prepared for the change. To prevent altitude sickness in Cusco and other mountain destinations, many people take preventive measures such as slowly acclimating themselves to the altitude prior to arriving at their destination.
How To Be Prepare For and Prevent Altitude Sickness
Altitude sickness affects many people who travel to high altitude destinations. The best way to be prepared is to ascend slowly and drink allot of water! You need to be hydrate. Its important to say that the alcohol in this situation is not your friend! Its nesarry to stop drink alcohol, prevent for the altitude sickness. Also recommended to get acclimated.
The Symptoms of Altitude Sickness in Cusco: What you Should Look Out For?
If you ignore altitude sickness, it can lead to many and serious problem with health conditions such as cerebral edema. The symptoms include headaches, nauseas’, difficulty on breathing and loss of appetite. If you are experiencing these symptoms in Cusco, or in any other places with higher elevation, its important to stop the activity and rest.
Tips for Coping with Altitude Sickness When Visiting Cusco:
Taking short breaks throughout the day can be very beneficial as well as limiting physical activity until the altitude sickness passes. It’s also important to avoid caffeine and alcohol consumption as this can worsen altitude sickness symptoms. Lastly, try to stick to light meals that are high in carbohydrates for extra energy.
Checklist about what to do and don’t:
- Travel gradually to altitude
- Listen to your body & rest if needed
- Stay well hydrated with water
- Eat small meals high in carbohydrates
- Consult with doctor before traveling
- Take preventive measures such as altitude tablets
- Plan ahead & be aware of altitude sickness risks
- Avoid smoking & other respiratory irritants
Don’t Do! 🙁
- Move directly from sea level to altitude
- Ignore altitude sickness symptoms
- Drink alcohol or caffeinated drinks
- Eat heavy meals
- Avoid seeking medical help when altitude sickness occurs
- Skip altitude sickness preparation
- Assume altitude sickness won’t affect you
- Smoke cigarettes or use other vices while at altitude
Altitude sickness is a real issue when visiting Cusco and can be prevented with the right preparation and precautions. By following these tips, you can ensure altitude sickness won’t ruin your visit to this beautiful mountain city!
People also search: Cusco Tours